Up next, we will introduce you to some key things you should consider if you’re planning on getting into this profession:
There are several courses than will probably give you a competitive advantage when applying to a job as a tourist guide. For example, courses in language classes, leadership courses, team work and public speaking.
This job requires a set of skills that you won’t necessarily acquire through a college degree. For example: first aid assistance, RCP training or knowing specific facts about the area where the tour will take place. A lot of these skills can be obtained through previous training or during the performance of the actual job.
Tour guides oversee the guiding of people or groups of people through specific places. To perform this job in a correct way, you should be aware of the interests of the group you’re going to oversee, to be able to provide a service that fits their age and intereses.
– Receiving information from the tour manager regarding the age, interests and any other relevant information about the tourists.
– Welcoming tourists and describing the content and length of the tour.
– Perform tours around cities, landmarks, historic places, etc.
– Providing information about the area, including facts that might raise interest in the group
– Giving out information and promotional material
– Answering questions
– Making sure tourists know and respect rules and regulations of the tour company and the places they visit.
Who hires tourist guides?
– Natural reserves and parks
– Amusement parks
– Historic places
– Cruise ships
– Being able to create fun and energetic environments
– Being able to speak clearly in public
– Patience towards people who are visiting unknown places
– Speaking and/or understanding foreign languages
– Being able to feel comfortable around people from different countries and cultures
– Extensive knowledge the places where the tour will take place
– Ability to answer fast and effectively to any unexpected situations
Now you know what it takes to be a successful tour guide! If you’re outgoing, enjoy the outdoors and surrounding yourself with people from all around the world, this job is the perfect fit for you!
Tinkerlink, experts recommended by people you already know.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.