There are several things you should consider to properly calculate how much it costs to paint a house.
First, you must decide if you’re going to paint it yourself, of if you’re going to hire someone to do it for you. In case you’re thinking of hiring a professional, first ask different painters to send you a complete budget so you can compare prices and fees. You’re probably going to receive some very cheap budgets and some others a bit more expensive. However, keep in mind that sometimes cheap prices transform into bad quality jobs. Don’t necessarily go for the cheapest budget you receive, instead, choose a painter that has good recommendations and inspires confidence in you.
It’s very important to know how to calculate the cost of paint per square meter. Here you’ll find some easy steps to follow:
- Measure every wall that you plan on painting. To do this, multiply length times width of every wall, this way you will get the total of the surface in square meters.
- Define the state of your current paint. It’s not the same to paint a wall that has never been painted before, then to paint a surface that has previous layers of paint. If the surface you’re going to paint is made up of different materials (plaster, concrete, sheet) you’re going to need more than one layer of paint.
- Choose the type and color of the paint you’re going to use. These factors alter the price of the paint. Every bottle of paint should have a technical sheet in the back, that talks about its performance, based on their quality. Some considerations:
- If you bought a good quality paint and you’re planning on painting on top of a light color, you’ll need two layers of paint.
- If you want to cover a dark color you will need three layers of paint.
- If this is the first time you paint a wall, you’ll have to apply a primer first.
- If the surface you’re painting is irregular, you should calculate 20% more paint.
- When buying the paint, it will always be better to buy some extra paint, this way you will make sure not to run out of paint.
- A good quality paint yields more than a cheap one.
- Multiply the number of layers you’ll need times the number of square meters you want to paint to calculate the total amount of paint liters you’ll have to buy.
- Make a list of the materials you’ll need: brush, mixers, cleaning material. A painter’s budget includes labor and the purchase of all the necessary materials. Add this sum to your final budget.
In Mexico, the fee offered by painters varies from 12 to 60 pesos per square meter, having 20 as the average price. The fee also varies depending on your neighborhood and the seize of your house. When the painter offers a final budget, divide it between the total number of square meters to know how much he is charging for each one of them.
Tinkerlink is a platform where you can find recommended professionals who can perform high quality jobs. Remember that the cheapest option is not always the best one. Painting your house is a long-term investment and you should hire a service that, even though might be a little more expensive, will make the most out of your money.
TinkerLink, experts recommended by people you already know.